What is All the Magnesium Glycinate Hype About Anyway?
In Our Wellness Centre we see excellent results when using magnesium glycinate as part of a health-balancing program for our clients. Often dramatic improvements are seen after just a few weeks to months when increasing your magnesium levels.
We do this by:
1) incorporating high magnesium containing foods;
– green leafy vegetables like spinach and swiss chard.
– nuts like almonds and Brazil nuts, seeds like pumpkin and sesame.
– unrefined whole grains like brown rice, buckwheat.
2) supplementing with magnesium glycinate capsules/powder, the best form in our opinion as it is well tolerated by the body and you don’t need as much for the desired benefit.
What Does It Do?
Magnesium is an important mineral making numerous chemical reactions occur in your body. For example it is an absolute requirement for calcium to be incorporated into bone; keeps toxic chemicals out of the brain; works as a team with calcium to create nerve impulses and muscle impulses; magnesium keeps muscles relaxed, including the heart and blood vessels.
What contributes to Magnesium Deficiency?
1) Poor dietary choices, not eating enough high Magnesium foods.
2) Consuming too much calcium or taking calcium supplements in excess.
3) Prescription drugs, especially diuretics, corticosteroids, estrogens and some birth control pills, some antibiotics, beta-blockers and Angiotensin II Receptor blockers, stomach acid blockers.
4) Caffeine and Alcohol augment urinary excretion, which can lead to Magnesium depletion.
5) Sweat loss in active individuals and athletes.
6) Gastrointestinal disorders: prolonged diarrhea, celiac disease, Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, malabsorption syndrome.
What Symptoms Do YOU Have That Could Be Magnesium Deficiency Related?
1) Nerve problems- such as migraines, muscle contractions, gastrointestinal spasms, and calf, foot and toe cramps.
2) Musculoskeletal conditions- Fibrositis, fibromyalgia, muscle spasms, eye twitches, cramps and chronic neck and back pain.
3) Insomnia- Sleep-regulating melatonin production is disturbed without sufficient Magnesium.
4) Hypertension- With insufficient Magnesium, spasm of blood vessels and high cholesterol occur, both of which lead to blood pressure problems.
5) Anxiety and Panic attacks- Magnesium keeps adrenal stress hormones under control.
6) Osteoporosis- Use of calcium with Vitamin D to enhance calcium absorption without a balancing amount of Magnesium causes further Magnesium deficiency, which triggers a cascade of events leading to bone loss.
7) Constipation- Magnesium deficiency slows down bowel muscular contractions. If you keep taking extra fibre and it doesn’t work, it is muscular related!
Magnesium Glycinate Hype Summary
Magnesium is one of the main minerals in your body and as you can see important in numerous chemical reactions that keep you healthy. Many diet and lifestyle factors, plus prescription drugs lead to Magnesium deficiency. Above is a short list of many of the most common symptoms people experience. You can see it covers a wide spectrum of symptoms you wouldn’t think are even related BUT now you understand when an important mineral, like Magnesium, is deficient many systems go out of balance. Please be cautious when taking Magnesium supplements especially if you are taking prescription drugs like the ones listed above (blood pressure/cardiovascular, hormonal etc.) as you can imbalance your body chemistry making your symptoms worse taking the wrong dose.
Please call our office and we will be happy to make an appointment to help you address your mineral deficiencies naturally and achieve your health goals!
Author: Bruce Bonner MASc RNCP, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Magnesium Miracle – Dr Carolyn Dean
USDA Food Database