Here is a list of the points addressed by Dr. Amelia Croll ND at a recent conference where she was asked to attend and speak on the subject of Naturopathic Lyme Disease.
General Focus of Naturopathic Lyme Disease Treatment
- Organ support (liver, kidney, spleen, gut, lymphatic)
- Immune system modulation
- Antimicrobial herbs targeting borrelia and specific co-infections
- Mitochondrial support with antioxidants
- Assessment of toxicity/heavy metals
- Assessment of hormonal system
IV therapy / Nutrient Intravenous Therapy
- Provided by NDs who are IV licensed. In Ontario, we can inject vitamin/mineral formulas only (no ozone and no antibiotics, need to travel out of province for those treatments, unless done by an MD).
- Not a magic bullet and often done in combination with other Lyme treatments (antibiotics, herbs, supplements).
- Response varies from case to case.
- Effective in Lyme because IV nutrients don’t depend on the digestive system to be absorbed and go directly to the cells.
- Foundations need to be in place first (clean lifestyle and diet) for best results.
- Herxheimer reactions common.
- IVs done weekly for 4-6 weeks then every 3-6 weeks for 3-6 months.
- Clients report improved quality of life (more ‘good days’ with energy and mood and better tolerability of antibiotics (if on an antibiotic protocol).
- Cost depends on formula but ranges from $110-125/treatment.
- IV’s usually take 1.5-2hrs.
- Basic labs need to be done in advance (with me or your MD).
Formulas (usually a combination of the following is used)
- High dose vitamin C (25-40g) has oxidative effect (increases cellular oxygen), and increases overall immune activity. Works well for viral co-infections (EBV).
- Hydration (lactated ringer’s formula) done on almost everybody for kidney support and to hydrate at a cellular level. Benefits those with POTS.
- Cell/mitochondrial support (high dose glutathione, magnesium, zinc, selenium, taurine, vitamin B5/B6). Improves liver function and benefits those with babesia, neurological symptoms, and multiple chemical sensitivity.
- Antimicrobial formula (with dilute hydrochloric acid). Herxing common so doses are started low and gradually increased.
- Multivitamin (called a Myers cocktail, has all the B vitamins, amino acids, and minerals). Done to improve energy and stabilize mood.
For more information visit Lyme Ontario